Obtain a Building Permit in Falls City
Permits are generally required for any construction or renovation in Falls City, including plumbing and electrical work. No person shall erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure or sign within the city limits or within one mile outside of the city limits, specifically including sidewalk and driveway located upon the public right-of-way, or cause the same to be done, without first obtaining a separate building permit for each such building, structure sign or construction, from the building department unless such work falls with the exceptions of City Code. Generally, any construction that exceeds $25,000.00 valuation or is within the fire limits shall be accompanied by plans and specifications. Permit fees are based on the value of the work being performed. To determine whether a permit is required and/or obtain a permit, contact the Building Inspector at 402.245.2851 between 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The citizen must contact the Building Inspector at City Hall when your project is ready for inspection. No additional inspection fees are required. Required inspections will be listed on the building permit once issued.
When are Permits Not Required?
Building Permits are not required for.....
- Interior maintenance, decoration, plastering or painting of buildings when no changes of structural members, plumbing, sewerage, chimney, or vents is involved unless the total cost of material and labor will be five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) or more.
- Outside of Fire Limits for exterior or maintenance, decoration, painting, roofing or siding of buildings not located within the fire limits, when external dimensions of the building are not changed, when no changes of structural members, plumbing, sewerage, chimneys or vents is involved, unless the total cost of material and labor will be five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) or more.
- Within Fire Limits for maintenance, decoration, painting, repair of roofing and siding where such roofing and siding and intended repairs are in conformity with the requirements pertaining to buildings within the Fire Limits, when external dimensions or exterior signs are not changed, when no change of structural members, plumbing, sewerage, chimney or vent is involved, and where there will be no obstruction, hazard or interference with use of sidewalk or street, unless the cost of material and labor will be five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) or more.
Plumbing/Mechanical Permits are not required for.....
- Where the work is strictly of plumbing or mechanical nature and total cost is less than five hundred dollars ($500.00)
Electrical Permits are not required for.....
- Where the work is strictly of electrical nature and total cost is less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00)
Active Building Permits
Building Permit Forms
Click on the desired form below. To submit your permit application, mail/deliver a completed copy to City Hall or email a digtial copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Varies, based upon the value of work. Fees double if work is started without obtaining an approved building permit.