Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon monoxide is dangerous - if there is a leak. It can form from any fuel-burning appliance, such as a natural gas furnace. It can create carbon monoxide (CO)—a toxic, colorless, tasteless and flammable gas. You can limit your exposure by making sure gas appliances are maintained and operating correctly, never using a gas grill or generator indoors and not opening ovens doors when in operation.

Signs of a Carbon Monoxide Leak

Exposure can lead to:

  • Weakness
  • Headache
  • Nausea 
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue

Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide detectors (CO alarms) can alert you when the amount of CO in your home is approaching dangerous levels. Install them by bedroom entrances, in common areas and near areas containing fuel-burning appliances and make sure there is one on each level. Check them regularly and change batteries as needed.