Natural Gas Leaks
Natural gas leaks are dangerous. If you smell gas (a rotten egg smell), immediately evacuate the building and call Falls City Utilities at 402-245-3521.
You might smell it.
In its natural state, natural gas is odorless, tasteless and non-toxic. But because it's also flammable, we add a distinctive sulfur or "rotten egg" smell to the gas that's delivered to your home or business to increase the chances of smelling a leak.
You may also see or hear signs of a gas leak, including:
- Hissing noises for a small leak
- Roaring sounds for a large leak
- Bubbles and liquid without a reasonable explanation
- Dirt blowing up from a hole in the ground
You can do this.
If you smell gas (a rotten egg smell), immediately evacuate the building and call Falls City Utilities at 402-245-3521.
Don’t do this.
If you smell gas, DO NOT:
- Remain in the building
- Use light switches
- Try to find the source of the leak
- Smoke or strike matches
- Use a telephone or any electrical equipment that might create a spark